Saturday, September 28, 2019

Gerald Reece: A life worth remembering

Eulogy


All along this life we are helped by those that don't truly recognize what a difference they make in your life.  I had been trying to reach Gerald Reece over the years at various points with no success and then the other day, I get a message from one of his friends that says that Gerald has passed away.

Saddened because I didn't get the chance to talk to him and tell him how important he was in my career.  But I did get to speak with Anthony his friend and asked, "hey how did you get in touch with me, how did you find me?"  He said that ironically they had just purchased my book, Take Your Shot, Make Your Play and read about Gerald and that's how they found me.

Gerald Reece in book

I am about to speak about what Gerald meant to me and more importantly what message that he gave to me and I am sharing with you. I hope you enjoy. 

Gerald Reece Eulogy September 29, 2019
A life worth remembering

Bruce Lee once said, “The key to immortality, is first, to live a life worth remembering!”

I’m going to share with you what I remember from Gerald in his voice as it was told to me during those formidable years that we were together.

I know a lot of people struggle with self-worth and I wish that there was an easy answer to tell you that would be enough to simply be alive.  That being a person makes you valuable and will give you the self-worth that you want.  But you know that is B.S.  At the end of the day, you have to earn that self-worth; you have to decide what is a life that is worth remembering? 

What is a life that is going to give you that sense of self? What are you going to do to have to earn that?  Because you have to earn that.  There is no way to stumble and fumble through life hoping that it will someday add up to something that makes you feel good inside. 

At the end of the day that is the only thing that matters.  How you feel about yourself when you are by yourself.  When there are no distraction, no noise.  Only the sound that is inside your head.  What are you saying?  Do you believe in yourself?  Do you know you can do it?  Have you put in the work?  Because the reality is to become someone that you respect.  It doesn’t matter what the rest of the world thinks.  You can have the love and adoration of every person on this planet and still hate yourself. 

That’s why the only thing that matters is what you and how you think of you.  The only way to get to a life that is worth living that you will judge is worthy is to put in the work.  It’s to do the hard things, to look at what you really want.  Be honest with yourself, if you knew you couldn’t fail what would that be and are you actually doing that or are you afraid you might fail?  That you will embarrass yourself?  Are those the things that affect your decision?  Are those the things that keep you small?  Are those the things that dictate the life you live? 

Because if they are, you are that person that no matter how much other people love you, you’re never going to love yourself.  Because in your heart you know you could be more.  There is something that is in us, inside all of us that pushes us to be the most that we can be. 

I’ve heard it said that Hell is to meet the person you could have been at death and realize that you are not even a shadow of that person.  And that Heaven is to meet the person you could have been and see yourself staring back at you! 

If that’s true and that is the meaning of all of this, then all the fame, money, doesn’t mean anything, what matters is that you have potential and that you do something with that potential!  That is what the meaning of life is:  How can I manifest that potential inside of me into something tangible.  To do something with it.  To create something with it.  

Create something that matters to you. 

Then you are truly living a life that is worth remembering. 

Coach John Saintignon

No comments:

Post a Comment