Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The Nidan Test


Where do I begin? I have so much to say yet I want to be right to the point on it. As a coach, it’s those who are under your supervision who must want to come together and prepare and learn from you and then perform. What is under their control? What is not under their control? How do you handle criticism and praise and from who?

What about goal setting or rather what you are fighting for? Last year, when I was coaching in Japan, I had each one of our members of our entire organization bring something that meant something to them and bring it to the center court after practice and we were each going to share what it was, why it meant something to each of us. A real exercise in knowing one another. I shared with them my Black Belt. How I felt that it was a great accomplishment for me at this stage of my life and how I earned it.
What else were you going to go after? This is my next question to them and of course myself. My point guard on my team gave me for Christmas, a Daruma Doll. Usually red and round and made of a special type of Japanese paper, the bodiless head stares with fierce determination. The eyes are left intentionally blank, so that it's up to the user to draw in the pupils. Jo B., told me to draw in one eye, then have the doll stare at you until you complete it and then you can fill in the other eye. The process of using a Daruma doll is simple: Have a goal, wish, or promise to fulfill.

This past Saturday was my test for Nidan rank in Karate which is known as the 2nd degree on your Black Belt. This is a goal that requires commitment no matter at what stage of life you are in. As with any endeavor there is always someone who is better than you and you can try to emulate, and aspire to be like them which will benefit and inspire you. Or you can try to compare yourself and quickly see your inspiration dissipate as you realize that you are unable to do what they can do?
The preparation for this Black Belt began with the decision to do it, which was over a year ago when I was living in Japan. I had to decide that I was going to do this and then keep my word to myself, to honor my agreement to myself. Then I had to see if I had the physical abilities and internal drive to do this. So, I decided on my off days of coaching to undertake several physical activities that I knew would challenge me to see if I wanted to do this: the 4x4x48 hour challenge that I did while in Japan was one. Then upon coming back to USA, waking up at 4:30am and getting out on my bike at 5:30am and cycle 160 miles per week. I had a set back as I contracted Covid and had to take the additional days of quarantine to make sure that everyone that I came in contact with had confidence in seeing me again. Then do my Black Belt classes 2 times per week and as I got closer to my test date, to up that to 5 days of Karate training.
All of this was in my control. My attitude and my effort. What was not in my control was how Sensei
Rick Manos
, Sensei
Brendon Butler
, Sensei
Tony Watterson
, who would sit in judgement of my karate efforts. This is what I know as a Head Coach: I am in charge of preparing my athletes for competition, provide them inspiration, let them see me work alongside them, share with them unique ways of building a team, knowing each of their members of their families in the hopes that this will allow them to do all they can to provide their maximum effort and have a great attitude to work each day. But most importantly is to never see them quit.
On this journey, we were taught by Sensei
Jeffery Quon
who also tested alongside us for his incredible 5th degree. He is so much more advanced that we are, yet we got to see him do all that we did on top of what he had to do which is so admirable as I am sure he could have felt that he was above this rank and especially their requirements. But he believed in us as his students and was with us during our pain and suffering just the same, making sure that he was with us. We couldn’t let him down, nor anyone else that wanted us to achieve, but really, it was up to us to not let each other down.( Sensei George Mobayed, Sensei Kian Sumida and myself.)
What is the power of words? Remember the old saying, “Sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Not true. Words do hurt. Let me rephrase, it’s not the words, but the meaning that we give it. Think back to those moments when maybe someone compared you to another, it wasn’t the words, really, it was how you interpreted the meaning to you at that given time. Basketball, dating, getting hired for a job, belt advancement is all subjective. What appeals to one person doesn’t to another. The only thing that really is in your control is your own effort and attitude.
Prior to taking this test and in preparation I am certain that all of us heard from that voice inside of us wondering if we were good enough, would the judges think that we would be worthy? Then at the same time those that we wanted to hear from give us a word or two of encouragement to provide us with that added support would come at the right time for each of us, whether it was our friends, a child of ours, a parent, a spouse, or a sibling. Those words would provide us with fuel. It sure did for me! As well as thinking of someone who maybe is struggling with something more than I am about to, like one of my former assistant coaches who is battling cancer treatments, I sure as heck could do it and make him proud of my effort and fight alongside with him as he did for me for many years!

I also have been tremendously inspired by partner, Sensei George Mobayed, who is 60 years old and was so inspirational to me along this journey as I could not have done it without him. We both began at the same time on this journey of becoming a Black Belt and I have been enriched with having him become a family member and my inspiration. A class act individual and a new 2nd Degree Black Belt holder.

So, as I conclude, thank you to everyone, this destination of becoming a Black Belt has been rewarding beyond words. Becoming a Nidan 2nd Degree Black Belt is an added bonus. What have I learned? What I have been imparting on my players: find ways to enjoy the journey, learn about yourself along the way, discover inspiration from music, books, movies, nature, people. Laugh, cry and think deeply about something. Don’t compare yourself to others as you will only be happy with your own effort and attitude toward this endeavor and at the end of the day, I will have been more than just the belt that I wear. I live by the same words I give my teams: Kaizen. It is a Japanese word that means to keep improving day by day. Have a continuous and never-ending improvement attitude and live my life without regrets by giving my best effort and having my best attitude. I can live with the results.

What about you? What are you able to live with? What are you wanting to achieve? Decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment