Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Use basketball as a tool to get your education!

This has always been the motto that I have used with our athletes:  Use basketball as a tool to get your education.  And with my professional athletes the direction has always been to get them thinking about what they are going to be doing with their brand to capture all that they can while they are still playing the game.

This type of conversation was incredible yesterday as I heard from those that I have helped who are now seniors to be entering their final seasons.  It was especially rewarding to talk with Kelvin Jones of Creighton University who truly was asking for my help as he opened up his NCAA Division 1, Big East Conference and NCAA Tournament quest today in their opening practice.

We had a great conversation about the future.  What's next?  Big picture?  Career, making a difference, role model, life after basketball.  Being grateful for my advice and wanting to learn more about what comes next.  I tell you it was an incredible experience as I now try to convince those who are high schoolers just to let go of their ego and allow any university to speak to them, to teach their parents how the process truly is and to also not get caught up in the word, "free ride, full scholarship." 

A career versus gear is what I ask them?  What is it you want?  Nice stuff, or a career?  Return back to the university as a proud alumni because while you were there you contributed, made life long relationships and used basketball as a tool and now walk across the stage in May or June with a degree. 
One of the athletes, Ryan Haywood at UC Merced, is hurt.  Has learned how fragile the game can be, yet will be ready come the season.  He has performed, he has become one of the all time leaders in various categories and 1st Team All League, Captain, etc.  But had no hesitation in his voice, when I asked him, are you going to graduate this spring?  YES!


I wish you all the best!  I truly am grateful for allowing me the opportunity to coach then and now into the future!

Coach John Saintignon
www.johnsaintignon.com


No comments:

Post a Comment