Monday, October 9, 2017

Questions with Anthony Mendoza

Anthony Mendoza


How do you deal with the pressure of having to perform in front of the crowd?        
  • The pressure of my mom watching me play is a lot worse than the general crowd but I just think " what's the worst that can happen " because at the end of the day it's just a game and I'm a kid 

How did you stay motivated after a tough loss? 
  • After a loss I imagine what I could have done better to win and usually the answer is be a better shooter or play better defense so to fix that I automatically get in the gym to get better. Basketball is a game of adjustments where you have to keep getting better at your craft. And when I get tired I just remember the pain from losing is worse than the pain of working out. 

How do you channel your frustration when the referee’s decision doesn’t go your way?
  • I believe and was taught that I work hard enough and am skilled enough that if a referee makes a bad call or a mistake on a call I have the power to still win or make the points back therefore, I don't get too frustrated. 

What are you thinking when you get benched in a game?
  • Of course I am not happy but I know I am being benched for a reason, either I wasn't playing well or I am tired. Therefore, if I want to stay in the game longer I need to limit mistakes or try to get my second wind during a dead ball or a foul shot rather than needing to be sat down. 

Do you have any rituals that you must perform before a game and why?
  • The week before a big game I work on my shot and handles a lot, mostly repetition. The morning before I get shots up but not so many shots, I work more on my form and touch. Then pregame I pray to God and ask that he would help preform.  


What was the most important game you played? Why?
  • The most important game I've ever played in would have to be the CIF Championship that we would end up winning because this is the game that gave me a lot of exposure and an unexplainable feeling that I will strive for until my last time playing basketball. This is a feeling of pure joy that came from hard work which makes it so much sweeter. 

How do you want your team mates to remember you?
  • I want them to remember as a good person. At the end of the day I want them to remember having fun with me and I want to have a bond in which we both pushed each other to get better. 

If you didn’t play basketball what sport would you like to play? why?     
  • If I didn't play basketball I think I would put all of my time into school and also get more hours at work to save up for college and to possibly buy a house. I would do this because the way to be successful the fastest is to be the first of your peers to do something. If I could get a house first I would financially be ahead of my peers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment