Friday, August 19, 2016

Stress reveals character

This past week has been full of stress.  My boys and I went to the Midwest and East coast of USA on college visits for my oldest son.  We had the stress of travel, flights, baggage not arriving, taking buses, trains, renting car, hotel arrangements, university meetings, super hot temperatures and humidity, long walks, living out of a suitcase, 48 hour visits, food choices, just to name a few.



My intention was to make the trip memorable so that it was enjoyable for us all.  I had to have intention, planning and a serious dedication to make sure that during each of our visits there was something personal for each state we visited and each university that we met with. Also, that there was something for each of my sons.

But most of all, I wanted this special time with my sons to have meaning that lasted well beyond just this time on the road together, so it got me thinking of questions to ask them during the trip and I think it's good for everyone.

What are your strengths and interests?
What are things that matter most to you?
What is your life purpose?

Now of course, with these questions many of us can't answer them, or we will certainly change with time and yet we all have to begin at some point.

Take some time to answer them, you will be amazed at how you look at things.  Ask your own children, you will be amazed what they share with you.  I know I was.

During this trip, there were some stressful times as I suggested and yet I got the chance to see my son's character come out.  They handled each moment as if they had already done it before.  No complaining and a positive attitude.  The time in the hotel room was their time to enjoy each other and be kids.  At the universities and with guests, was their time to shine with asking meaningful questions, being polite, courteous and genuinely interested in others.

Tell me how you feel about stress.

Respectfully,
John Saintignon
www.johnsaintignon.com

4 comments:

  1. You are the dad 👍 (poleg (-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We all try our best!
      I hope you and your son are doing great!
      Please say hello to everyone!
      Coach John Saintignon

      Delete